Monday, July 21, 2008

Day 21: Matthew 14

We've moved past the halfway point in our 40 Day journey of prayer & repentance where we are begging God to change us and begging Him to use us to change our city. Hopefully, you spent some time over the weekend reflecting on what God is doing to awaken your heart to what He is up to in and around you.  If not, be sure to take some time today to do so and share your story here on the blog. A post dedicated to stories will go up later today and you can comment there.

In today's reading (Matthew 14) from the gospel of Matthew, we catch Matthew's accounts of two of Jesus' most famous miracles - feeding the 5000 with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish, and walking on the water to join the disciples who were far out to sea. 

Put yourself in the disciples' shoes as Jesus handed them the bread and fish to distribute to the people...or imagine being one of the hungry people waiting on food and wondering if there would be enough for you. You had to be confused, nervous, and a little skeptical of what Jesus was up to! Yet, everyone ate, everyone was full, and a lot of leftovers were collected! It was a question of trust, not resource. How is Jesus calling you to trust Him?

Or what if you were on the boat in the middle of the sea when all of a sudden, here comes Jesus walking on top of the water?! First, He feeds 5000 people with so little resource. Now, He's walking on water! Are you like Peter and willing to step out of the comfort and security of the boat to join Him? Again, it's a question of trust.

Following Jesus into the kingdom is a question of trust. There is no doubt Jesus will call us make uncomfortable decisions in order to see His kingdom at work. What do you need to do today to put your trust in Jesus to work?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great passage! Isn't it so easy to read about trust and talk about trust but to apply it of our own lives and truly trust Jesus in what He is doing. Easier said than done...right? Walking on water?! Ok well i've tried that and it doesn't work so well for me. For Peter to have faith to just get out of the boat is huge but the fact that he got out of the boat and Jesus still said he lacked faith, makes me think. Yea, its awesome He trusted Jesus to a degree but COMPLETE trust, he lacked. So many times I am the same way..I say I trust Jesus, I even take the first step, but along the way things happen or something doesn't go the exact way I had "planned" or "hoped" and makes me wonder what I was doing or if I made the wrong choice. What would happen if I would completely trust Jesus with every single area of my life?! who knows..maybe you'll see me walking on water :)